Thursday, January 16, 2014

My first try at art journaling



When I started looking for tutorials on how to use gesso/textured paste for mixed media layouts, I landed upon videos related to art journaling...Although I was initially not interested in this art form, I watched a couple of videos and fell in love with the whole process. How the blank page can be transformed into an astounding canvas of colours and textures, is simply enthralling to me. I followed the method as illustrated by Riti Poddar in one of her video tutorials. WHat I have made is a very basic art journal page that I made in about an hour, I just took my diary, the humble planner diary and coloured a page with whatever paint I have on hand ( fabric colours) - art journals make use of acrylic paints. Then added some texture in the form of torn bits of PP, let it dry and then tried to use the chevron stencil I made myself using a stencil pattern I found online. I actually wanted to use texture paste but did not, maybe next time... Used white fabric paint on one side and Memento Tuxedo Black ink on another end on the stencil. Stamped randomly here and there, flowers, sentiment.. Cut out an image of a little girl and used that as a stencil too (Riti Poddar's idea.. she rocks). Outline the stencil with my black oil pastel crayon and smudged it to give a stained effect...smudging again here and there... and I stopped myself here. WIll be back with more art journal pages in the future... this is a very interesting and stress busting technique... it need not look neat and you dont need to fret and fume if there is a smudge anywhere.. in fact it only adds to the whole "painting"... so dream on!

Some pictures...

Let me know what you think....

3 comments:

  1. Cool idea ! Even I have never atempted this.Nice attempt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your first journal page is Fantastic Hridya :)..Beautiful journal love the stained effect .

    ReplyDelete
  3. how amazing that this is your first journal page! it looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.... I would be grateful if you can leave any suggestions or comments so that I can keep improving myself and my work...