Saturday, February 15, 2014

Cake and more



When I saw the BGC challenge for this month, I knew I had to make a card with some cake on it... and this month happens to be my mom's 60th birthday and in India, in our community, we refer to it as 60th wedding and the wedding is conducted by the children who weren't around at the time of their parents' wedding, fun isn't it? It is a sad thing that neither me nor my brother are near mom to celebrate this milestone with mom, so we decided to give her a surprise, I would make her a quilled card... I wanted to couple this card with a couple of challenges here in blog world. My mom has never cut a cake in her lifetime so wanted to have a pop up cake inside the card, the outside would have the number 60 to indicate the milestone. I came across Suganthi's blogpost on this topic and I took inspiration for the quilling from her post here. I wanted lots of colours and flowers on the front, since my mother is a very creative person, loves colour and just wanted to incorporate that. I followed Dr Sonia's tutorial for the pop up cake, it is a very simple pop up cake and I enjoyed decorating it with my favourite folded roses!!! You might wonder why I made a wedding type cake for a birthday card - as I said, this milestone is referred to as 60th wedding in my place, I thought it would be nice to have a wedding type cake...It felt really go to get back to quillography and I was able to do this quite quicker than I expected. Here are some pictures...


For the BGC Challenge we had to use the following palette,
I think I have used most of them hehe...

Hope you like my creation :)

Linking this to:

Beyond Grey Challenges - BGC 45 - Sweet Tooth Challenge Have made a cake

Itsy Bitsy Say it with roses challenge - Folded roses

Floral Fantasies - Blogaversary Candy celebration - Quilling is one technique I love and always try to get back to and love quilling the roses!

Lulupu Challenge 26 - Try Something New!Have tried the pop up cake for the first time, the sentiment stamp is new, the folded roses too :)
Thanks for looking...

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic quilling and a lovely pop-up cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW what a masterpiece Hridya...your cake is fantastic..love the roses and the pretty lace icing.So sweet of you to link to my tutorial ...I am thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. orgeous quilling Hridya..love the pop up cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my Hridya, this is just amazing and so very different, I imagine your Mum will be equally amazed by your beautiful work.

    I have never done quilling but really admire the intricate work of those that do. It is also very interesting to read your traditions, sounds such a lovely way to celebrate.

    Thanks so much for joining in my blog celebration and good luck when it comes to the prize draws.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This looks amazing! I love your beautiful quilling, Hridya and the pop-up cake with those folded roses too. You have done fabulous work :)

    Thank you so much for playing along Lulupu #26 and Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great card! the quilling and the cake inside are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW..This is great...Lovely cake with a creative Quilling card..You are sooooo talented dear....Really so beautiful job...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow ! thats some really gorgeous quilling!!!!
    I love the way the cake looks
    Thanks for playing with us at BGC and Lulupu this fortnight !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning!! Lots of beautiful work! Thanks for joining us at BGC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card and beautiful quilling. Thanks for playing with us at BGC :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is fabulous, the quilling is exquisite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful creation and such a sweet sentiment too!! Thanks so much for playing along with the ItsyBitsy Say it with Roses Challenge. All the very best!
    ItsyBitsy - The Blog Place

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful card and lovely cake hridya, followed u back :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this card is gorgeous Hridya...I could'nt imagine how you made the cake so perfectly like a pop up card...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an adorable card, Hridya! beautiful quilling work!
    Thanks for joining us at Lulupu Challenge # 26

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.... I would be grateful if you can leave any suggestions or comments so that I can keep improving myself and my work...